Thursday, December 18, 2014

Truth Tattle: Leggings Are Not Pants

Leggings are not pants.

I posted this thought on my personal Facebook page earlier this week and received many responses such as "Thank you for posting this!" and "There should be public announcements about this!" Well, hello new blog post.

Don't get me wrong, I love leggings. I own a half dozen pair, all in basic black of course, as per 90% of my wardrobe. But leggings are not substitutes for pants.

It doesn't matter how thick your leggings are, how much money you spent on them, or how 'nice' they are...they are still leggings. This modern day leg phenom is meant to be an undergarment for such appropriate pairings as dresses, skirts, or even super long slouchy sweaters.

Here's the rule - if your bum is not covered, put on real pants. That means if your top sits at, or just below your waist, you need to put the leggings down and grab the slacks instead. Example shown below.

Even Olivia Wilde got this wrong, in my opinion

The majority of the population disagrees with this "trend", and I barely even would call it that. It is a misfortunate step in fashion's history that will go down with other trosseau tragedies, such as wearing a leotard over your tights at the gym.

This whole conversation became hilariously relevant as I was watching TV this evening. You see, I never watched Gossip Girl when it was on air, so I've been catching up on Netflix. I'm on the last season and tonight's episode featured a grown up Nelly Yuki working for Women's Wear Daily, interviewing Blair Waldorf about her new line. Nelly recaps some of the things Blair yelled and drilled into her as one of her minions in High School, which ironically enough was, "Tights are not pants!" And we all know Blair was the Dictator of Taste...

Now, it would be unfair of me to kill the idea of leggings as pants without offering you a solution. Therefore, I highly recommend the Sloan Fit Slim Ankle Zip pant from Banana Republic. It is a slim fitting slack that looks great under a pair of boots in the fall and winter months.

Truth be told.
S.


No comments:

Post a Comment