Wednesday, October 1, 2014

An Open Letter to DC Fashion Week

But first, let me explain...
I am often asked why I never write about negative experiences on my blog. When I started Haute on the Hill, I wanted to maintain a positive, upbeat vibe and only share the things that are truly great in DC fashion, food, and fun finds. It is way too easy these days for people to hide behind their smartphone and tweet/post constant negativity. We are a society suffering from a severe lack of empathy, hence my personal choice for Haute on the Hill to build people up, rather than tear them down.

I am a relatively new Washingtonian but I am passionate about this city and it's potential to grow into an international beacon of culture, cuisine, and maybe even someday, couture. I write this letter to DC Fashion Week not to be mean, hurtful, or rude but simply to be honest. I hope my writing about my own experience will help improve future shows.

I attended one of the DC Fashion Week shows this past Saturday, the following post is a reflection of my experience.

Upon our arrival...
My friend and I purchased front row tickets to the Emerging Designers Fashion Show. We received an email saying the doors opened at 7pm and the first walk started at 8pm.

We met for a quick bite and glass of wine at Brasserie Beck before walking over to the show, which was being held at the Washington Post Conference Center. I have been to lectures at the Post before, but never a fashion show. It struck me as an odd venue to host DC Fashion Week, but I went without thinking too much of it. After all, any space can be transformed with proper lighting and a runway.

We arrived at 7:30pm, with plenty of time to be seated before the show started. However, upon our arrival, we discovered the show was already half over. At some point it was decided to start the show early rather than stick to the schedule released to ticket holders. Honestly, while we found the early start unprofessional, it was probably a blessing in disguise.

Setting the Scene...
The space was lit as if we were attending a board meeting, not a fashion show. Vendors with booths were set up around the perimeter selling clothes and fashion accessories from their boutiques. It felt like we walked into a 'welcome back to school night', where you could walk around from table to table and sign up for the theater club or the chess team. There was no energy, no vibe. Just bad fluorescent lighting and a room of half empty chairs.

Why we were really there, let's talk fashion...
I fully support emerging talent. I think it is an incredible thing to take something so personal as your creative work and put it out there for the world to judge. I applaud you emerging designers for your guts, vision, and drive.

But for those individuals behind DC Fashion Week, shouldn't there be a standard that has to be met in order for one to show? I saw so many hem lines not finished, zippers that had not been sewn in properly, and worst of all - price tags still on the bottom of the models shoes! As they stood at the end of the runway posing for photographers, all I could focus on was an unfinished garment unprofessionally presented.

The single silver lining in this incredibly enormous storm cloud was Andrew Nowell.  Andrew, thank you for showing not only well made, finished garments; but for sending something down the runway that was innovative, fresh, and inspiring. I absolutely loved your menswear collection. Bravo!

The awkward point in the evening that made everyone ask "What the hell is going on?"...
I'm not sure if the man with the microphone was told to stall, or maybe he just went rogue, but what I am about to describe is maybe the worst part of this whole experience.

To the gentleman who spent a great amount of time speaking that evening, myself and a majority of the audience were completely perplexed as to what you were doing. You began by going around the room asking people where they were from, which in the grand scheme things, was not terrible; that only lasted about 5 minutes.

But then began the slow downward spiral to complete and utter awkwardness. At one point you sang someone "Happy Birthday" and made them come sit in the front row. If you did, in fact, need to stall to give the next designer extra time, why not just pump up the music and let people mingle? Maybe give everyone time to post Tweets/Instagram/Facebook photos taken during the show?

What transpired while you were on the mic made everyone in the room uncomfortable, and quite frankly, bored. We were all looking at each other from across the room wondering "What is going on?" At this point in the evening, my friend and I came up with one word to describe DC Fashion Week...amateur. And that is the point where we got up and left, along with many other people in the audience.

Moving forward...
While I do not plan on attending any DC Fashion Week shows in the near future, I do hope it will improve. Perhaps, eventually, it will become something Designers, Bloggers, and true Fashiontionans will flock to with excitement and anticipation each spring and fall. But until then...

S.

No comments:

Post a Comment