Sunday, April 12, 2015

Brunch at Mitsitam Cafe

Mitsitam Cafe has been on my list for over a year now. I had read multiple times how delicious and unique it was, but who would guess a Zagat rated restaurant would be in the National Museum of the American Indian? My husband and I decided to eat here on our way to the Cherry Blossoms this weekend, and I am so glad that we did.

Exterior of the Museum

When we first arrived, the cafe was still a few minutes from opening. Luckily, they had an espresso bar in the main lobby so we started our visit by ordering some lattes. The drink options were so exotic, my favorite was the Spicy Chocolate Blackberry Cappuccino (complete with cayenne pepper) for an amazing, unexpected morning latte.

Once the cafe doors opened, we found ourselves a bit overwhelmed by the menu. Mitsitam Cafe serves indigenous cuisines from across the Americas.  Each station, separated by region, depicts the ingredients and cooking methods of both traditional and modern native cuisines. Your choices to dine are in the Northern Woodlands, Mesoamerica, South America, the Northwest Coast and the Great Plains.

We decided to journey to the Great Plains where I ordered the Pulled Buffalo Sandwich, which was delicious. A bit sweet, plenty juicy, and very flavorful for having hardly any 'extras' added to the sandwich. On my list for future dining is the Ground Duck and Buffalo Burger, it looked so amazing while grilling in their open kitchen. I will most certainly be back for more.


Pulled Buffalo Sandwich

No comments:

Post a Comment